Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Internal Number: REQ-019782
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
PROVIDENCE, RHODE ISLAND (USA). University Pathologists (UPLLC), a Sonic Healthcare USA Partner, is recruiting for a Surgical Pathologist, with Cytopathology experience, to join our team. We are seeking candidates interested in a dynamic multi-specialty pathology practice serving both inpatient and outpatient clients.
The candidate with fellowship training in both Cytopathology and Surgical Pathology, is preferred, as well as being AP/CP Board Certified. University Pathologists is committed to providing outstanding service in all aspects of community-based clinical and anatomic pathology; therefore, flexibility and strong training is a must. Candidates must have excellent communication skills, and be able to interact well with clinicians, administrators and laboratory staff. The successful candidate should be a strong team player and also have the ability to work independently.
Our client-centric approach to providing diagnostic services is driven by our belief that the practice of medicine and the delivery of healthcare are both personal and best delivered locally. With our extensive pathology expertise, we are able to support comprehensive integrated approaches to patient care.
This full-time position is an integral part of UPLLC. The location is a coastal community with highly ranked schools and close proximity between Providence and Boston. University Pathologists is a growing, multi-specialty, multi-state professional group of 20 pathologists, providing Anatomic and Clinical Pathology to multiple hospitals, surgery centers and outpatient facilities in Southern New England.
Diagnose presence and stage of diseases using laboratory techniques and patient specimens and studies nature, cause and development of diseases, and structural and functional changes caused by them.
Essential Key Responsibilities:
* Examines and interprets prepared tissue sections and body fluids and secretions by using a variety of microscope techniques, including light microscopy, electron microscopy and fluorescence microscopy.
* Diagnosis, from body tissue, fluids, secretions or other specimens the presence and stage of disease or other abnormalities, utilizing laboratory techniques and dictates findings.
* Identifies the etiology, pathogenesis, morphological change, and clinical significance of diseases.
* Consults with referring physicians about ordering and interpreting tests or providing treatments.
* Provides diagnostic information to the treating/referring physician in the form of a written pathology report.
* Participates in proficiency testing programs and intradepartmental meetings to establish measures to ensure and improve accuracy of diagnoses and quality of care.
* Participates in professional organizations, conferences and seminars to keep abreast of developments in pathology.
* May perform gross examination, dissection and description of specimens according to procedure.
* May train and educate laboratory personnel, students, and residents in the processing of specimens.
* May take photographs of specimens when indicated for patient reports or archival purposes.
* May consult with peers on difficult cases as requested or needed.
* May teach residents on a rotating basis.
* May plan and supervise the work of the pathology staff, residents or visiting pathologists.
* May testify in depositions or trials as an expert witness.
* May perform autopsies.
* May perform on-call responsibilities.
* Completes annual training programs within the required timeframe and regularly attends staff meetings.
* Maintains strictest confidentiality.
* Complies with all State, Federal, professional regulations as well as company and departmental rules, polices, and procedural manuals.
* Adherence to CAP, CLIA, State Regulations, HIPAA, Safety and OSHA Regulations.
* Performs other duties as assigned .
* Be a doctor of medicine or doctor of osteopathy; and
* Possess an unlimited and unrestricted license to practice medicine or osteopathy in the state in which the laboratory is located, and applicable states in which laboratory receives specimens or be eligible to obtain licensure; and
o Completion of an approved four year residency in anatomic and/or clinical pathology; and
o Be certified in anatomic pathology by the American Board of Pathology or the American Osteopathic Board of Pathology or possess qualifications that are equivalent to those required for such certification; or
o Be certified by the American Society of Cytology to practice cytopathology or possess qualifications that are equivalent to those required for such certification.
Sonic Anatomic Pathology
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
University Pathologists LLC
Sonic Healthcare USA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive workplace for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.