Location: New York, New York
The people of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) are united by a singular mission: ending cancer for life. Our specialized care teams provide personalized, compassionate, expert care to patients of all ages. Informed by basic research done at our Sloan Kettering Institute, scientists across MSK collaborate to conduct innovative translational and clinical research that is driving a revolution in our understanding of cancer as a disease and improving the ability to prevent, diagnose, and treat it. MSK is dedicated to training the next generation of scientists and clinicians, who go on to pursue our mission at MSK and around the globe. One of the world's most respected comprehensive centers devoted exclusively to cancer, we have been recognized as one of the top two cancer hospitals in the country by U.S. News & World Report for more than 30 years.
In compliance with applicable State regulatory authorities, COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for all MSK staff. Staff are considered fully vaccinated upon completion of a primary vaccination series for COVID-19 (i.e., one dose of a single dose vaccine or a final dose of a multi-dose vaccine series). Exceptions from the COVID-19 vaccine requirement are permitted for those who request and receive an approved medical or fully remote exemption. Requests for medical exemption can take up to two weeks to review. Vaccination or an approved medical exemption is required to start work.
*Staff working at a MSK New Jersey location must be up to date with COVID-19 vaccination, which includes having completed the primary COVID-19 vaccination series and booster once eligible as mandated by New Jersey State. All New Jersey staff not yet eligible for a booster must receive a booster within 3 weeks of becoming eligible as a condition of continued employment at MSK.
Note: Individuals are eligible to receive a COVID-19 booster two months after completion of a primary vaccination series for COVID-19. Because vaccine-induced immunity can wane over time, MSK continues to strongly urge all staff to get a COVID-19 booster as soon as they become eligible to maintain their protective immunity for a longer period.
The Department of Pathology - a collaborative team passionate about one goal: delivering the accurate scientific diagnosis in the most expert manner! We receive approximately 25,000 major surgical resection specimens and perform about 45 autopsies annually. We have recently completed renovation of our entire Surgical Laboratories - Gross Room, including 15 ThermoFisher senior grossing stations, Histology Lab and IHC Lab.
We are currently seeking an expert Pathologist Assistant to join our team. Position Summary: You will provide technical support for the Pathologists' clinical and research activities.
- A problem solver, who can handle sophisticated, high quantity and sometimes contradictory information to efficiently solve problems.
- A good decision maker, with shown success of making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Committed and eager to address new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and passion.
- An effective communicator, capable of developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the outstanding needs of difference audiences.
- Adaptable in your approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
- Provide comprehensive assistance regarding the gross description and dissection of surgical tissue and thrive under the mentorship and supervision of outstanding Pathologists.
- Perform a wide variety of Histology processes in addition to tissue grossing, including tumor procurement, case set-up, gross imaging of patient specimens, mentoring/educating, and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science from Pathologist Assistant Program (Master's preferred).
- At least 3 years of experience in specimen grossing.
- Excellent communication skills - including verbal, written and computer.
- ASCP Certification strongly preferred.
New graduates from an accredited PA master's program are welcome to apply.
Hours of work:
- 37.5 hours, five days per week.
- Shift: 2pm-10pm, Monday-Friday with rotational Saturday coverage.
- Evening and weekend hours will attract an additional shift differential payment.
Learn more about our Benefits!
Pay Range $106,500.00-$170,400.00
Please click to learn more about MSK's compensation philosophy.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.