DMC University Laboratories (DMCUL) is a regional, integrated laboratory system providing services to the eight hospitals of Detroit Medical Center. DMC University Laboratories evolved in 1993 and is comprised of Core Laboratories, Specialty Laboratories, two rapid response hospital laboratories, Centralized Stat Lab, Centralized Blood Bank Lab, and full service outreach infrastructure which includes patient service centers, remote ambulatory laboratories, marketing staff, courier system and billing department. The DMC University Laboratories service area covers the entire Southeast Michigan market, and is growing at a rapid pace with the following outstanding features: Test menu of over 1,000 tests, which includes high end specialty tests. Less than 1% of our tests are sent to outside reference laboratories. Provide reference laboratory services to many of the other healthcare systems in Southeastern Michigan and several out of state facilities.
Under general direction of a pathologist, assists in all aspects of anatomic pathology. Describes and examines surgical specimens and prepares such specimens for histology processing. Performs autopsy prosection, obtains appropriate specimens for microscopic evaluation and describes findings. Assists in preparation, processing and determination of adequacy of fine needle aspirates and renal biopsies. Participates in seminars and provides instruction for medical and pathologist assist students concerning technique and protocol in autopsy and surgical pathology.
1. Under the direction of a pathologist, performs prosections and dictates gross description of surgical specimens.
2. Ensures that appropriate legal permission has been obtained to perform autopsies. Assists pathologist and clinicians in obtaining permission if necessary.
3. Prepares abstracts of medical records and presents abstracts to pathologists prior to beginning an autopsy.
4. Maintains autopsy room, associated facilities and all instruments and equipment in a clean and safe condition as specified by department safety and OSHA guidelines. Obtains and transports supplies necessary to operation of autopsy and gross rooms.
5. Transfers and handles body from morgue to autopsy table.
6. Conducts autopsy from start to finish including description, prosection, selection, collection and submission of designated specimens for microscopic evaluation, and special studies.
7. Conducts Training seminars, instructing pathologist assist students in technique and protocol of autopsy and gross surgical pathology. Demonstrates gross pathology protocol and procedures to new residents.
8. Prepares fine needle aspirates and renal biopsy specimens for examination utilizing appropriate laboratory techniques and protocols. Examines specimens for adequacy.
9. Evaluates and provides feedback on student projects.
10. May assist with sections/specimens utilizing cryostat, stains and coverslip slides; maintains frozen section equipment.
11. May perform and/or assist pathologist or designate in performance of tasks related to medical photography.
12. May maintain procedure manuals in accordance with practice guidelines and requirements of regulatory agencies.
1. Graduate from a Baccalaureate Pathology Assistant program or successful completion of a post bachelors program from an approved school of Pathology Assistants. OR Bachelors degree in sciences with background in physiology and anatomy with three to five years experience in pathology.
2. Certification by American Association of Pathology Assistants (AAPA) or American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) as a Pathology Assistant, or must successfully attain certification within 6 (six) months of employment as a Pathology Assistant to retain employment at the DMCUL.
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC University Laboratories, Inc.
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days
Shift Begin: 10:00 AMShift End: 6:30 AM
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.