Job Summary: The Cytotechnician 2 prepares gynecologic and nongynecological specimens for microscopic examination by cytotechnologists and pathologists with occasional guidance. The Cytotechnician assists Pathology and specialty laboratories in triaging and processing complex specimen orders in a timely manner with minimal guidance. The Cytotechnician 2 provides clerical support including assisting with the preparation of clinical reports to assure excellent quality and customer service. Utilizes critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Prepares specimens according to defined procedures and ensures proper patient identification throughout the preparatory process.
Document necessary quality control records including temperature charts, stain quality, phone call log, etc.
Performs routine equipment maintenance and repairs.
Manages supply inventory to meet defined par levels to support testing and minimize expiration of products.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
Receives and triages internal and external specimens. Handles add-on orders, requests for additional materials and monitors TAT as required.
Handles special requests for reference lab testing and tracks the entire process including the request to outside facilities for materials through to the receipt of the results.
Prepares materials for shipping to outside facilities and reference labs.
File slides and retrieve slides. Participates in managing archived slides.
Participates in quality control and process improvement activities.
Supports SurgPath or specialty laboratory and demonstrates critical thinking and problem-solving abilities in in handling daily workflow and problems.
TVC, Full-Time, 1st Shift, Monday-Friday
Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) has been rated the #1 Hospital in Nashville and the state of Tennessee by the US News & World Report. VUMC's Diagnostic Laboratories are undergoing an exciting time of change, including a planned expansion to a new state-of-the-art 110,000 sq ft laboratory. This, along with an established Professional Advancement Ladder (PAL), provides additional opportunities for growth within our system. VUMC is an academic medicine environment, providing team members frequent interaction with clinical teams and exposure to complex and novel infectious cases
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
* Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
* Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
* The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
* Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
* National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
* Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
TECHNICAL CAPABILITIES: LABORATORY PRACTICES (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate laboratory practices in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Generally, works under the direction of others while accomplishing assignments.
PATHOLOGY (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate pathology in practical applications of moderate difficulty.
EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE - (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate the ability to maintain equipment, products, or systems in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Assures that parts inventory is sufficient.
QUALITY ASSURANCE - (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS):- Understands the goal of increasing organizational productivity and individual performance by making the products and services within your work assignments more efficient and more effective. Demonstrates quality management practices on the job which result in superior products and services delivered.
AD HOC REPORTING - (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS):- Has limited experience or training accessing information to prepare simple reports.
DATA ENTRY - (NOVICE):- Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate data entry in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Able to interpret complex data entry instructions accurately.
PATHOLOGY KNOWLEDGE (NOVICE):A continuing focus on the needs and requirements of customers, anticipating their needs, remaining sensitive to customers while performing services for them, responsive to customer needs.
CUSTOMER SERVICE - (NOVICE):- Demonstrates the ability to influence customers. Knows how to verify and clarify the needs and expectations of customers. Responds quickly and efficiently to customer service requests. Participates in and conducts meetings with customers. Keeps customers informed of status via standard reporting techniques. Meets the continuing service needs of a customer group, including requests for changes in work content. Responds to customers with an appropriate level of urgency, energy, persistence and tenacity.
Organizational Impact: Performs tasks that are typically routine that may impact team's performance with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes some discretion and research to solve routine problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies knowledge of standards, established processes and procedure that apply to your own job.
Team Interaction: Provides guidance to entry level co-workers.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S2):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships : Seeks to understand colleague's priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns tosupervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S2):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.